Sunday, December 27, 2009

My parents are making it very difficuly for me to do my photography class projects. What should I do?

I have a photogrpahy project due that can be on any subject as long as the 10 photos I have to take are connected in some way. However, my parents don't allow me drive and they don't want to take me anywhere to find things to take photos of. They keep telling me to take pictures of things in the neighborhood. I did that last semester and my teacher told me he wishes I would go an explore other places. He gave me the benifit of the doubt then but this semester he wants something different from me. I told my parents but they don't listen or care. Then think i'm just being difficult. They don't understand that my professor wants to see artisting and interesting things. Anyone have any ideas of things I can take photos of in my house or in basic neighborhood that would be interesting.My parents are making it very difficuly for me to do my photography class projects. What should I do?
I think the idea of using a bicycle is a good one. I ride about 30 miles about every other Saturday. I always take my camera with me and shoot some of the interesting things I find along the way.





I have a friend who goes on 12 mile walks and sometimes I go with her. I have found some interesting things to shoot when with her as well. Like Canada geese, many varieties of ducks and other people.





My last 12 photo essay was of abstract shots of common items. The class enjoyed trying to figure out what they were.





Take a look at what others are doing in the class (or have done) and see what your prof is especially interested in seeing, both in content and in technique.My parents are making it very difficuly for me to do my photography class projects. What should I do?
Are there any wooded areas around your house? Have you learned macro-photography yet? Even the simplest plants make for some interesting extreme closeups.


Do you never go anywhere? Carry your camera every time you go somewhere, school, Wal-Mart, grocery store, wherever...there's always something that can be photographed.


Is there a nature park or nice city downtown area anywhere near where you live? Get a specific place in mind, lay out your reasons for photographing that particular place and approach your parents with that instead of the idea that you just want to wander aimlessly hoping to find something to photograph.


Good luck!








Edit: Just ignore me..%26gt;I just read Rattlehead's response and that is just genius!!
hey mayo3. this has nothing to do with you question, i just wanted to know what books you have for your classes. i want to get into photography, but at the time dont have the money for the classes. let me know it would be a great help. thank you :)
Ask professor to write a note to your parents, so at least they realize you do really need help and that you aren't making this up.





Ask your parents to write to your professor telling him that won't help you. They won't but at least this might help them realize you are serious.





Get a part time job and buy a car.
I dunno what kinda photos you are woking on, but almost anywhere you can do asomething intresting. bring a lamp into a corner od the room, and make weird shadow of object, angls.


every lamp post can look intresting, if you take it from somewhere weird- or up close with Macro...





besides- isn't there such a thing as public transport? taxis? bycicles? legs?
Make your parents your subject. Get photos of them first thing in the morning, in the shower, etc.....


I think after a few photos they will come around.
well they might be right but just ask them to stop bothering u and tell them u promise to get it done and if not u can take away my cell phone!!!!! make sure they let u out at night and stuff!!!!!
I'm also a photographer, and I also had parents like that at one time. My mother never allowed me to get my drivers license and refused to take me places.


There is so many pictures you can get in your home or neighborhood. I'm not sure on your environment but you should make your photo project of ';details';. You can find a lot of examples of detail photography online, anything from a spider in your home, to some fruit loops in a bowl of milk. Or as suggested before, you can get back at your parents by making them the topic. Even architectural details of the homes around you.
use your imagination! take pictures of your family,neighbors,maybe stuff in your house like speceal keepsakes or personal belongs.
You could do a series of food shots, a series of different trees and their leaves (close ups/long shots), a series of (if there is any) snow levels or icicles, a series of pedestrians (if there are many) in your neighborhood. There's a lot you can do...you just need to use your imagination a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment